National coordinators: Marielena Fedi (INFN Firenze) , Susanna Bertelli (LNF)
Local coordinator: Marco Cinausero
INFN-Kids is a collaboration between different INFN structures (Cagliari, Catania, Ferrara, Florence, LNF, LNGS, LNL, LNL, Padua, Pavia, Rome, Turin) with the aim of telling science to kids from 6 to 13 years old. Our goal is not only the teaching but mainly to encourage both curiosity and interest in scientific subjects and, possibly, to provide support for teachers.
Among the activities carried out by the collaboration in the years 2020-2021:
- Online laboratories: classses and hands-on experiences for schools. Topics are related to various subjects: electrostatics, optics, structure of matter, geolocation, astronomy
- Summer Camp: The two online editions were devoted to explore the micro and macro cosmos, from the largest celestial bodies to the smallest particles (2020 edition) and to navigate between the different type of existing waves : sound, electromagnetic and gravitational (2021 edition)
- Educational videos: planets and space, wonders of nature, stories of science and scientists. Some of them realized in collaboration with other research bodies (INAF, ESA)
- Comics, games and reading: The story of a glass of water and a photonic adventure that help younger children to discover the world of atoms and particles. A new comic in collaboration with Hamamatsu Itala will be published soon. An audiobook about the life of Lise Meitner, the scientist who discovered nuclear fission, read by the author Simona Cerrato.
Website and social media:
– Official website: web.infn.it/infn-kids
– YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/infnkids
– Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/INFNKids
– A periodic newsletter sent by email to the subscribers