The missions of the Radiation Protection Service include the following actions:
- establish, adopt, and maintain high standards of radiation protection for LNL accelerators, other minor radiogenic equipment, radiation detectors and radioactive substances.
- provide competent technical assistance to users who use radiogenic sources.
- carry out physical environmental surveillance.
- ensure that radiation detectors are calibrated and in good working order.
- respond, to the extent of their competence, to radiological emergencies and follow-up investigations.
- carry out all the calculations necessary for shielding and diffusion of radioactive effluents.
- provides personal dosimeters to workers with occupational exposure.
- keeps the personal dosimetry cards of exposed workers.
- proposes radiation protection standards to be issued and protocols on new practices.
- monitors the correct use of X-ray machines and radioactive sources.
- collects, stores, and disposes of low-level radioactive waste and carries out studies and research on topics relating to radiation protection.
More information about radioprotection are in a dedicated website.